Winter Maintenance Checklist
September 28th, 2016 by Island Ford
Is Your Car Ready For Winter?
Winter is just around the corner, and in Canada that means unexpected blizzards, icy roads, and low temperatures. Be proactive and prepare your car for winter now before the weather becomes harsh and threatening. At Island Ford we want to make sure your driving experience is always as easy and stress-free as it can be, so here is our autumn maintenance checklist to help prepare your car this winter in Duncan, BC.
The Easy DIY Checklist
Getting your car ready for the cold seasons doesn't have to be hard. The best thing you can do is bring it in to a specialist to make sure everything is in working order, however there are a few things you can do on your own to make sure you are prepared.
1. It is highly recommended to change your engine oil and filters twice a year. Prior to the winter months it is important to ensure that the filters are not blocked as blocked filters can reduce performance and fuel efficiency.
2. Have your battery tested by a professional and replace it if necessary. A good tip is to always keep the battery terminal and cable ends clean.
3. Ensure that your windshield wipers are functioning properly as the cold weather and ice can be hard on the rubber blades. You can even upgrade to winter wipers if necessary. When parked, lift the blades off the glass so they won't freeze onto your windshield.
4. Make sure that you have enough windshield wiper fluid as you will use more during the winter. It is a good idea to keep an extra can of wiper fluid in your car as a backup in case you run out.
5. Inspect your engine coolant and add anti-freeze if it is running low. Your vehicle owner's manual will specify the ratio of antifreeze-to- water, but it is typically 60/40.
6. Inspect the condition of the belts and hoses in your engine, looking for signs of damage such as cracks or leaking. If you notice any wear, replace the damaged part immediately.
7. Change into your winter tires before the snow comes! Ensure that your winter tires as well as spare tire are all fully inflated and in good condition.
8. Assemble a winter survival kit to keep in your car in case of emergency. Items that you should include are jumper cables, flares, a flashlight, ice scrapers, blankets, and a first aid kit.
9. Having your car waxed with a heavy duty wax will protect it from the harsh salts and other winter grime.
10. Keep your gas tank at least half full when the temperatures drop to prevent moisture from building up in the gas lines as this may cause freezing.
Prepare Your Vehicle For Winter at Island Ford in Duncan, BC
Winter driving requires more care and diligence, but with proper maintenance winter driving can be easy and safe. Go through your autumn maintenance checklist to make sure that your vehicle is ready for winter. If you have any questions or concerns regarding preparing your car for winter, Island Ford is happy to help. Visit us in person at 6456 Norcross Rd, Duncan, BC V9L 6C5 or give us a call at (778) 400-6994.
Posted in Service